Hope everyone had a nice Memorial Day! We lucked out and ended up having some really nice weather. It started out a little cold and gray but by mid-morning the sun came out to play. Mark, Caleb and I went with Mark's mom to put flowers on her parents' graves. Here's Caleb with his great-grandparents and great-great grandparents.
The cemetery is a really nice one in Caldwell with a nice view of the countryside. I actually really like cemeteries during the day -- most of them are very pretty and I think it's so interesting to walk around and look at the tombstones and read what people have inscribed. There was a really sad one I saw for a little girl who was only five days old. The oldest tombstones this cemetery had were from the 1800s -- it would be so cool to go to Boston or Philadelphia or, even better, anywhere in Europe and see some really old ones.
When we first got there, it was a little bit windy and Caleb was a very helpful soul and would pick up any flowerpots that had gotten blown over.
I figure that canceled out the couple times he stepped on a gravestone before I could stop him.
Caleb loved the flag-lined drive.
Some of the flags were tangled up and wrapped around their flagpoles so we went along the line and untangled them.
Caleb had fun watching them flap in the breeze.
After the cemetery visit, we went back to Mark's parents house and enjoyed the sunshine.
Mark tried to catch some fish to no avail.
But Caleb enjoyed watching him try!
We saw a whole bunch of various baby birds -- there was a nest in one of the reed bunches close to the house and you could see the babies stick their little red heads out every once in a while.
We saw two families of geese swimming around and a pair of ducks with little yellow fuzzball duckling following them. So cute!
Just one more random thing that was really cute -- the other morning Caleb was eating some crackers and he ran up to me with one and said, "Look, Mommy! It's Idaho!"
Then, that evening he was eating a piece of bread and held it up saying, "Idaho!"
What a smarty pants. I'm pretty sure that's all Mark -- he sure doesn't get any geography brilliance from me.
It was a very nice, relaxing, low-key day -- my favorite kind.
No comments:
Post a Comment