Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Simple Fairy Garden

*I would just like to preface this post by saying there is something weird gong on with the formatting and I've tried to fix it but can't. I figure you guys can still read it, even if all the pictures are in weird places.*
We went to a birthday party this past Monday and I was wracking my brain over the weekend trying to think of a cool present I could make. I was doodling around Pinterest (like I always do) and found a great idea off of one of my mom's pins. (Image from The Artistic Garden) A fairy garden! I love miniature things -- they're just so wee and cute and little. And I thought something like a fairy garden would be so much fun for a three year old, especially if there were little things she could rearrange. At first I was going to make the garden in a flower pot but I wanted something shallow so it would be less dirt and lighter and wide so that there would be a lot of room for the birthday girl to rearrange her garden. I went to Joann's and Michael's hoping to be inspired and at Michael's they had cookie tins on sale. It was the perfect size. I drilled some holes in the bottom, put down a layer of rock and then filled it with potting soil. I'd also bought a little thyme plant at Lowe's so I planted that in one corner and also liberally sprinkled some grass seed and covered it with another layer of dirt. If I was a planner I would have started the grass a few weeks ago so it would already be sprouted but now the birthday girl also gets the added fun of watching her garden grass grow. I had a lot of fun at Michael's perusing their wood miniature section. This is what I ended up getting: The birdhouse is, obviously, the little fairy house. I sawed off the little wood perch stick on the front before painting it. The disk and flower pot I used to make a little fairy table. The little, itty-bitty bowls I glued to the tabletop so it looks like our little fairy maid is having a fairy lunch with a fairy friend. The clothespins I used on the little fairy clothesline. I just grabbed a couple sticks from our yard, cut them to size, tied some thread to them and clipped the teeny-tiny clothespins to it. The rocks I used for a little rock path leading to the house. I painted everything in fun colors with craft paint. After the paint was dry I also gave everything a coat of ModPodge to give it a little bit of water resistance since she will have to water the garden. I really love how it turned out. I kind of want to make one for myself! And it was a hit at the party. By the time we left there were Little People living in the garden. Caleb didn't seem that interested in the fairy garden but he had a good time at the birthday bash. He played Pin-The-Nose-On-The-Clown, hit the pinata and got a toy car, and ate some cake. All those things that make a three-year-old smile.

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about making a fairy garden with Olivia. I love your creation! I hope all is well with you and Caleb.

    ReplyDelete